Here are a few ideas to get you moving:
Enjoy a fresh snowfall. Fresh snow is instant fun regardless of age. New sticky snow is perfect for making snowmen, forts and snowballs. Whether you spend time together in the backyard or at a nearby park, squeals of laughter and rosy cheeks are a sure thing.
- Quietly slip a few items in your pocket to decorate a snowman before leaving home and head out with the family for fun in the snow. Everyone will be delighted to help when they know a perfect snowman, snowwoman or a whole snow family is at hand.
- Challenge your family to a fort building contest and watch their eyes light up as you pair off and create a unique snow-only setting.
- Don't forget snow angels.
Exercise in the snow. Walking, running and playing in a few inches or a few feet of snow can be quite a job. Plan for it and use it to your advantage. Put on some snow gear, warm boots, a hat and mitts and get your added resistance exercise the fun way.
- Bring a Frisbee, football, or volleyball to a fresh patch of snow and jump in. What used to be a gentle workout can now be as demanding and as fun as you want it to be. Dive for the ball, make that spectacular catch and let the snow cushion you. Playing tag is a whole lot more fun when the snow is slowing you down. It's guaranteed to warm you up and bring cheers from all corners.
- Have a last minute scavenger hunt. If you're near a wooded area hunt for pinecones, a dried leaf or two or a twig with a few berries still on it. The sky is the limit for the treasures you need to run and find.
- For those seeking a more structured time outdoors, winter hiking, snowshoeing, or skiing are tried and true winter sports. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, friends, neighbours and used equipment stores will be glad to set you up with what you need. Don't forget to ask for their advice, destinations and recommendations. They will love to offer you more than enough help and suggestions to get you on your way.
Enjoying the pleasures of winter is never as daunting as it seems. If you dress appropriately, reserve a block of time, choose an activity that suits your whole family and aim for a fun, fresh time